Monday, August 28, 2017

The head that wears the crown...










Isn't this the cutest invitation?



Here's a closer look at my DIY flower crown, made from 2 clearance flower stems from a craft/fabric store for a total of about $4:


OUTFIT DETAILS:
Occasion: Mexican-fiesta theme bachelorette party (actually a lingerie bridal shower)

Top: Old Navy swim coverup (similar)
"Camisole" underneath: Brooks Maia sports bra via Title Nine (exact) (NOTE: I love this bra, not only as a sports bra - which it is, and a good one - but also as a "camisole" layer under low-neck tops.  I plan on buying another in black soon. I've had this one for ages and it still looks great.)
Jeans: Merona, thrifted (similar)
Sandals: Boden, thrfited (similar)
Earrings: via ebay (similar)
Flower crown: DIY by me (similar)
Bag: thrifted (similar)

Can I tell you a secret?  I have always wanted to wear a floral crown...  However, I'm not exactly a Coachella girl.... plus I heard that flower crowns were so 2016 (lol).  But there's something about my inner 5 year old that has always thought it would be the coolest thing ever to a) wear a crown that is b) made of flowers. Both good things, in my opinion.

Fast forward to receiving this adorable invitation for a friend's lingerie bridal shower.  The additional card enclosed said to wear Mexican clothing, flowers and lots of love (appropriate since the bride's husband to be is Mayan).  On my bucket list of clothing items to buy someday is an embroidered Mexican/Central American top or dress, but since I haven't found it yet, nor would I have time to look for it before the shower, I thought this embroidered gauze swimsuit cover-up that I already own might fit the bill.  For flowers, I'd have to look elsewhere, but that's where my DIY flower crown idea came into being.  

This is the simplest floral crown ever - simply one wire-stemmed stem wrapped into a circle, with 3 flower tops plucked off a second stem and gorilla glued into place.  I mean, seriously, how much abuse is a floral crown going to take, right?  And who knows if I'll get another legitimate chance to wear it again?  

All I can say is, if I do get a chance to wear a crown again (of any type), I'm in.  

As a bonus, here's my favorite picture from the party itself:



No comments:

Post a Comment