Sunday, December 3, 2017

How to layer bell sleeves






OUTFIT DETAILS:
Activity: Meeting for worship

Coat: Kensie, thrifted (similar)
Top: LOFT (similar)
Skirt: J. Crew (exact)
Shoes: Mossimo via eBay (similar)
Bag: Burberry, gift (exact)
Earrings: Robin Undira (similar)

I mostly like bell sleeves, though I have a couple of challenges.  First, it's hard to wear them in (my) regular at-home life, since I'm forever getting my sleeves caught in dishwater. Second, it can be a challenge to layer them, so it gets harder to wear bell sleeves as the temperature dips...  

My solutions? For the first issue, I usually wear my bell sleeve tops only for my "out-of-the-house life" anyway, I often change into my comfortable "house clothes" when I get home, whatever top I'm wearing (I'm just messy at... life).  Secondly, I've realized that shorter sleeved jackets and sweaters make good layering options for bell sleeves.  This jacket has cropped enough sleeves that both layers of the ruffled sleeve show, so I often combine them in cooler weather.  An elbow length sleeved cardigan like this one could also work as a top layer with a bell sleeve top, or an open sleeve kimono similar to this.

And you know what I just thought of?  A cape would totally work over a "statement sleeve" top (check out this super versatile one, or this lighter trench coat style one).  The pattern on my cape wouldn't work with this top, so I hadn't thought to pair it together, but depending on your top/cape color combination, it could totally work for you!  I was eyeing this cape in store the other day, but did restrain myself....

Any other layering ideas for bell sleeves? Do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment