Thursday, April 12, 2018

REVIEW: Athleta Sunlover UPF tulip back top




Athleta Heathered Sunlover UPF tulip back top (above):

NOTE: I tried this item on in medium and large in regular sizing, and ended up buying a large in petite sizing.  I'll include my comments on all the versions I tried.  I usually wear a medium in Athleta tops (other than bra-top type tops, which I don't usually buy or try on).

Size: True to size, perhaps even a tiny bit roomy as I find most Athleta items to be.  Semi-fitted, as the sizing states - skims the body in your size. I wanted a more relaxed fit at the hips to wear over leggings in non-gym activities like hiking or playing outside with the family, so I sized up from my usual Athleta size, though I bought the petite version of that size.  

Fit:  Somewhat wide in the shoulder, even in petite sizing, especially in regular sizing (probably because my shoulders are on the small side) but overall a regular, perhaps slightly relaxed fit to the collar and shoulders, flaring down to a wider, quite relaxed hip hem. 

Fabric:  Smooth, soft performance fabric that feels like it won't pill (I'll update that later to see if it's true when I wear it more and have washed it).  And, it's got sun protection for UPF 50+ - perfect if you're lazy about applying sunscreen like I am.

Length: The front is longer than the back.  The regular sizing was a tiny bit longer than I wanted (I'm 5'2"), which was why I ordered the petite.  The top is still a low hip length in the front, even in petite sizing, which was what I wanted since I plan to wear it primarily with leggings. (According to Athleta's website, the regular sizing is 26.5 inches in front, 20.5 inches in back, petite is 24.5" in front, 18.5" in back and tall is 28" in front and 22" in back.  Petite sizes are pretty much only available online, FYI if you're hoping to try both in store.)

Sleeve length: The regular sized sleeve was ridiculously long on me, both in medium and large, the petite sleeve fits the way it should, with the thumbhole hitting my thumb at just the right place.  I'm not sure I even need the thumbhole, but it's a nice detail, and I could always alter that if I decide I don't  want it.

Quality:  Feels very nice, as expected from Athleta.  Well-sewn seams, high quality finishes and fabric.

Value: I do not usually spend $59 on a top, especially as a die-hard thrifter.  However, I have looked at lower-priced brands for a a "swing" style workout top with a regular fit on top and relaxed fit at the hips, and it is nowhere to be found new, so I certainly wasn't magically going to be able to thrift it.  So, when I discovered this top, and it came in petite sizing, AND it came in my favorite but elusive gray color, I knew it was time to pull the trigger (I did use a small Athleta/Gap/OldNavy/Banana Republic credit card reward coupon to ease the pain a tiny bit).  Based on my previous experiences with Athleta, I feel like I'll wear and love this item for a long time, so based on cost-per-wear pricing, it should end up being a good value.

Color: I'm in love with this heathered gray color - it's dark enough to hide stains (yup, I'm a messy monkey) and it goes with everything just like black does, BUT it doesn't make you look goth when paired with black leggings like a black top/black bottom combination can.  COLOR NOTE: Be aware that this same top DOES come in other colors - currently navy, black, white, light pink, fuchsia, cobalt blue, orange, dark green and mint green - but this "heathered Sunlover UPF tulip back top" in heather gray only is a separate catalog/website entry from the regular "Sunlover UPF tulip back top", which includes all those other colors.  Just be sure you check both website entries so you see all the beautiful color choices.  The same is true for the other sleeve options - the heather gray color option is a separate entry from the regular colors.

Back tulip detail: I've tried these types of tops before, and didn't like how they would easily open and expose your back (since I wanted to wear it also in regular life, not just a class at the gym).  What I like about this top is that it is designed to stay layered over itself completely, so that the most that comes open when you bend down is a bit of your lower back, just above your waist, no higher (at least on me, again, I'm short, especially in the torso - it could hit a bit higher if you're taller and long in the torso).

Overall:  This is another item with the perfect mix of performance fabric and real-life style.  I've been searching forever for a top that was fitted at the shoulder but relaxed at the hips - something that would be comfortable and flattering with leggings of any length.  This is the first I've found after much searching, and the back detail makes it even better.  I LOVE that it comes in gray - to me the perfect neutral to go with all my black leggings (yes, I'm boring and wear mostly classic black when it comes to leggings), but can also combine well with other color bottoms I might want to wear.  For a casual basketball shooting session with my son, I paired it with stretchy black denim frayed-hem jeans, slip on sneakers and a red puffer vest.  I felt ready for action, but also cute enough to have run errands without embarrassment if I had needed to.  Just what my mom-life wardrobe needs!  

I told myself I only needed one of these tops, but after wearing it once, I'm so tempted to order another long-sleeve version (in navy? ballerina gown/pink? on fire/orange?) and perhaps a short-sleeve version (and is it greedy to want the sleeveless version too?).   

Here are some links to the various versions of this top.  The only one I couldn't find is the heathered short sleeve version, but it is on the Athleta website.  

No comments:

Post a Comment