Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Festival wear... or not (Summer outfit ideas)













OUTFIT 1 and 2 DETAILS:

1 Kimono jacket: thrifted (super similar, only $8!)
1 Black top: Uniqlo (exact - a really nice basic camisole with a washable, yet dressy poly crepe fabric.  I highly recommend as a wardrobe basic.  The straps are spaghetti straps, super pretty if you can wear a strapless bra, but looks fine with a regular matching color bra strap.  I'm wearing a medium.)
2 Pattern top: thrifted (similar, similar)
1 & 2 Pants: Gap (exact - on sale, similar)
1 & 2 Earrings: vintage shop (similar)
1 & 2 Necklaces: gifts and vacations (similar top necklace, similar middle chain, similar longest pendant, similar 3 in one layered necklace)
1 Black sunglasses: LOFT (close to exact, restocked)
2 Tortoiseshell sunglasses: Forever 21 (similar)
1 Black slide sandals: Zara, thrifted (similar)
2 Gray metallic sandals: Fly London, thrifted (similar)
1 Basket backpack: thrifted (similar)
2 Crossbody bag: thrifted (similar)

These are the outfits I considered for wearing to BottleRock 2018, a music festival in Napa.  I actually ended up wearing something similar to the first option, but with gray jeans (the white ones kept getting stained - twice! - before I even wore them) and a thrifted denim jacket that I spruced up by removing the collar and hem and leaving the frayed edges, and cropping the sleeves and fraying them.  It ended up being much colder than I had anticipated, which is why I decided not to go with the chiffon kimono layer - not very helpful in cold weather!

Here's what I learned about this planned outfit once I actually went to this event.  

1) Wrong shoes.  I mean, I wore them, and they were fine, I didn't get blisters or anything, but open-toed, slide shoes are not ideal for grassy, potentially muddy fields, nor are they the best option for walking in crowds.  Since it ended up being much cooler weather, I would have been better off with short ankle boots, or maybe a chunky brogue "Doc Marten" style shoe.  I've been to other music festivals in the Midwest that are hosted in fairground locations, so everything is paved.  My feet would have stayed much cleaner...  Now I know this event (and probably many other, smaller music festivals on the West Coast) is different! 

2) The adorable basket backpack would not have been the best bet.  I ended up not choosing it anyway, and I'm so glad I didn't.  In a large crowd, a delicate bag that sticks out behind you can be difficult to manage anyway, but you would certainly want one that closes, for security.  I ended up using the basket bag for small winery wine tasting the next day.  Much more appropriate.

3) I didn't bring a water bottle - me, the person who always carries some kind of liquid - to the one event that had a whole tent for water bottle refill.  We ended up just buying one bottle of water and refilling it all day, but I should have known better.

4) I needed a hat - thankfully it was mostly cloudy so I was okay, but under normal circumstances, in this area being outside all day at this time of the year, I would definitely require a sun hat, not just sunglasses. I own lots, I just should have carried one!

5) I didn't bring a blanket.  Not that we would have used it for the big concert that evening, but earlier in the day, there was always space to put a blanket down and sit on the grass.  We just used Mike's jacket, but we own several packable blankets for picnicking that we never have an opportunity to use.

6) Bringing more layers would have been good, it did get chillier at night.  I did use the hat, gloves and the raincoat Mike graciously loaned me (getting himself wet when it drizzled) on and off all day, but especially in the evening.  Like a dummy, I forgot about this packable jacket I bought that would have been perfect to carry with me in my bag.  Somehow I forget I own this, but it's so useful!

However, these are still cute outfits for other summer activities.  Just thought I'd share them, as well as my thoughts.

Here are some buying options if you're looking for similar items:

KIMONO:

TOPS:

PANTS:

SHOES:
BAGS:


No comments:

Post a Comment