Monday, March 23, 2015

REVIEW: J. Crew structured flutter tee vs. Gap peplum tee










It's not that often I buy things that are still available for others to buy (clearance rack and thrift store shopper issues...).  But, when it happens, I like to share my experience, in case it will help others in their shopping.  There are so many gray tops out there right now, it can be hard to decide which one to go with (because, really, do you need more than 1 or 2 gray tops?).  I was so excited to find these 2 options, but there was one definite winner and one return.  Here's what I thought, hope it's helpful!

J. Crew structured flutter tee:

Sizing:  I would say this runs pretty true to size.  The shoulder area runs slightly larger because of the style (more on that later), and the waist is fitted, so keep that in mind based on your body shape.

Length: The waist hit at my true waist, and the flared bottom hem sat at high hip length - appropriate for this style of shirt

Fabric:  A thin, almost sweatshirt cotton material.  Not as forgiving of any imperfections through the torso.  Versatile for spring or summer, though.

Quality:  Seems good to me. The hem is intentionally finished with a serged stitch, not a folded-under and stitched hem, so that could fray more easily if caught on something.

Color: Nice light heathered gray, it is a nice color.  There is also an ivory available, but I didn't see that in store, and I hesitate with light colors I haven't seen in person because so many are virtually see-through.

Comments:  I loved the idea of this shirt, but it wasn't very flattering through the torso (admittedly, not my slimmest area), seemingly due to the combination of the thinner fabric and seaming of the top.  Also, I did not like the shoulder at all.  There is no set-in shoulder, and there was an odd crease/fold with the extra fabric.  While it may partly be related to my smaller shoulders and larger bust, even looking at the J. Crew website model wearing this shirt, you can still see the unusual shoulder fold area.  I wasn't a fan, especially at the price point, so I returned the shirt.  I also tried pairing this shirt with various bottoms, and was underwhelmed.  It didn't really look the way I hoped it would with shorts, nor did it quite right with jeans (at least on me).  Bummer, because I really liked the idea of this shirt!

Gap peplum tee:

Sizing: Runs true to size.

Length:  The waist seam hits slightly above my natural waist.  The peplum bottom hits at mid-hip.  

Fabric:  Quite a substantial cotton, like a very thick tee-shirt or a rugby shirt.  That does make it slightly more casual, but also more flattering.

Quality:  Fabric, seams and finishing details all seem well-made.  Hopefully it will hold up well!

Color: The attractive light heather gray color is shown in the photos, there is also a heather charcoal gray available, and a heather medium blue.  Very versatile and just right for spring.

Comments: I bought this shirt in the light and dark gray colors, especially at the 40% sale they were having in store the day I visited. I plan to get the blue color, too - I only saw that on my way out of the store after checking out.  This shirt is just too versatile - great with skinny jeans, a pencil skirt, or even shorts.  Great purchase, and great design, Gap!

No comments:

Post a Comment