Thursday, September 14, 2017

Trending (again): paper bag waist


Oh, I see you, tripod....



OUTFIT DETAILS:
Activity: Meeting for worship, lots of errands afterward (Does ANYONE sell 9 volt batteries when your smoke detector starts chirping?)

Tee: Merona, thrifted, old (similar)
Skirt: Banana Republic, thrifted (similar)
Shoes: Mossimo via ebay (similar)
Bag: Ann Taylor, thifted (similar)
Necklaces: Sterling silver collar, thrifted (similar), chunky bead necklace, made by me (similar)
Bracelet: Vintage - my grandmother's! (similar)
Earrings: Diamond stud, gift (similar)
Sunglasses: LOFT (exact)

I recently read that paper bag waists were coming back.  I am old enough to remember the original paper bag waist trend of the 90's (perhaps there was a trend before that, but that one I wouldn't remember....).  I did not partake in the 90's, although I always admired the look.  I just didn't feel I had the body type to carry it off, plus my style was much more baggy, so it wouldn't have paired well with this look. 

I didn't really plan on trying this trend, but having that trend forecast in mind, I thought I would at least try on this beautiful silk skirt at my new favorite Goodwill location (Just too many good things to choose from!).  I've also heard purple will be big this fall, so bonus, right?  But, in reality, I did really just like the skirt, and thought it would be a risk-free proposition at only $5.  I don't think the pictures are that flattering.  And, honestly, perhaps it wasn't that flattering in real life, although I felt like it looked nicer than the pictures show.  But either way, I'm glad I tried a new look, especially a departure from my beloved pencil skirt.  

To be fair, I must mention that the unsung hero of trying new fashion silhouettes is the plain, fitted tee in a neutral color (my go-to is this black one in a slightly dressier fabric than just a plain cotton tee).  Without that blank canvas, you really couldn't assemble a new look - at least without the dreaded "shopping to find something to match an item you already own".  That rarely works!  So I do try to have one of these around for those occasions, even if it isn't so exciting by itself.  It would be good to have a short-sleeve version and a long-sleeve version, to be even more versatile.

What new looks have you tried (or wanted to)?


No comments:

Post a Comment