Tuesday, November 24, 2015

OUTFIT: Caped fun





OUTFIT DETAILS:

Cape: vintage via ebay (similar)
Tee: LOFT (exact)
Jeans: LOFT, thrifted (similar)
Heels: Rachel Roy via ebay (similar)
Bag: vintage Coach via ebay (similar)
Earrings: vintage shop in SF (similar)

Couldn't resist the punny title....  I've always had a cape on my fashion wish-list radar (super-hero complex?), it just wasn't very practical in the Midwest, being 1) a bit over the top for my practical hometown, and 2) just not warm enough for actual winter, and too hot to wear in nice weather.  In San Francisco, however, I suspect I will get plenty of opportunities to wear this.  I've only had it a week and have worn it 3 or 4 times already.  (Granted, I'm looking for those opportunities, but who doesn't look for ways to wear a new wardrobe item?)  While my husband doesn't quite get it (nor do many of the guys who look quizzically at the armholes as if wondering exactly what I'm wearing), it's a fun way to wear an outer layer, and give myself another cool weather option besides wearing the same wool coat over and over again.

I've noticed that many of the current capes being sold (non-vintage), are much more flowy than this one, which may be more what you're looking for. I however, prefer the classic, tailored look of this cape, and find it much more flattering to my shorter frame than adding so much extra fabric.  Check out eBay for lots of interesting vintage options in various styles and patterns, often in excellent condition, and many for less than $50.  

If you're considering a tailored cape like this one, I will note that this particular style of cape does limit arm movement a bit.  I can drive in it, but adjusting the rear view mirror?  A bit of a pain.  Reaching the glove compartment for a napkin when you spill coffee all over newly acquired cape?  Almost impossible.  However, it can be done, and the many hours I'm wearing the cape while NOT driving (walking around in the city, etc.) make up for the slight inconvenience occasionally experienced.

Here are some options currently available if you're not up for searching ebay for vintage capes:



No comments:

Post a Comment