Thursday, January 25, 2018

Winter minimal with a 90's throwback







OUTFIT DETAILS:
Coat: Linda Allard Ellen Tracy, thrifted (similar)
Top: Gap (similar)
Skirt: thrifted (similar)
Tights: A New Day, Target (exact) (MINI REVIEW: This is my first pair of this brand of tights from Target.  I previously loved their Merona tights which have been discontinued.  These are the same price at $8 per pair, and they are actually even better: more opaque and a nice deep black.  I'm using the "super opaque" "80d" pair, there is a less opaque "50d" and an even more opaque version "120d".)
Shoes: Crown Vintage via DSW (similar - on sale!)
Bag: Ann Taylor, thrifted (similar)
Earrings: Kohl's, old (similar)

Those of you old enough to remember the 90s as a relatively grown-up person will remember this type of blazer/coat.  I had several in this style, although none this long.  I was quite thrilled to find this gorgeous coat (with a matching skirt, which I was silly enough to think it was somehow a cape to wear atop the coat, because it was draped on the outside of the coat on the hanger at the store), for several reasons.  First, it is my all-time favorite color, taupe (ok, my favorite neutral, if you're being particular) and second, because it has such a classic, simple, minimalist style. I can even add a bonus third reason, the style hearkens back to my 90's fashion days. 

This unstructured coat/long blazer (doesn't that make you think of the 2001 Cake song "Short skirt/Long jacket"? another reference that shows my age...) fits a particular hole in my closet, which I wouldn't have wanted living in a cooler climate, but does make a practical layer in my current moderate climate.  I had my eye on a gorgeous minimalist coat from Gap (this one, in gray, though the camel is pretty sweet, too) that was also in unlined wool, but I liked the price tag on this one much better, not to mention I almost always buy items in this color whenever I happen to come across them. It's so versatile! It looks great with literally every. single. color.  I've never had a taupe item I haven't worn out from wearing it so much.  Try it!  It does have to be the right taupe, though.  For me, that's a mushroomy, grayish taupe - "greige" was a color name for a while that kind of described this, though it's a hideous word.  It's not khaki, tan or light brown.  You'll know it when you see it, that's all I can say!

Here are some similar layering pieces, if you're also looking to fill that particular hole in your closet:


And here are some taupe items, in case you'd like to test its versatility:


No comments:

Post a Comment