Friday, May 6, 2016

Kind of an outfit post...




OUTFIT DETAILS:
Activity: City sightseeing, Cuenca, Ecuador

Top: Old Navy, this season (similar, similar)
Sweater: Banana Republic Factory, old (similar)
Jeans: LOFT, last season (similar)
Shoes: Cole Haan Air (exact - reviewed here - so comfortable!)
Hat: Forever 21, this season (exact)
Bag: thrifted (similar)
Watch: Timex via ebay (similar)
Earrings: sterling silver ball studs via eBay (similar)

In the sense that I did wear this, I suppose it is an outfit.  Maybe even not as bad as I think. But my packing for this trip got complicated, since we were moving out of our apartment and putting our things into storage at the same time we were packing for a 6 week trip.  Then, once I had already packed my suitcase for traveling, and put the rest of my clothes into storage, a large earthquake destroyed Canoa, the small beach town where we had planned to go (and packed for).  Our revised destination was Cuenca, an inland mountain city with completely different weather than the coast, and quite a different sense of style.  I tried adjusting what I could before we left, but you can only pull so many things out of bins in the hallways of a storage facility, only to have to repack and restack them.  So, I the clothes I have with me are definitely not what I would have packed had I originally planned for this destination.  

I spent the first week or so of vacation pouting about it.  Now I've adjusted my attitude, and have made the best of it.  I plan to do a packing list, based on what worked and didn't work for this trip. And, although this wasn't exactly the outfit I might have planned, it's still just fine.  Maybe what I least like is the fit of these jeans after I lost just enough weight to change how they fit.  That's easily remedied when I have access to my whole wardrobe.  

Anyway, here's some fun shots from the clothing market here in Cuenca. We've looked at many markets and shops over the past two weeks, and I haven't bought anything yet, hoping to narrow it down to just one or two key items I'll love (and use) for a long time to come, rather than lots of little trinkets that gather dust or eventually get donated.  So far, I'm leaning toward one of the indigenous skirts pictured below (to be paired with my regular clothes), and maybe an embroidered off-the-shoulder top.  We'll see.  Maybe I won't even do that.  After all, seeing my friends from Canoa, who lost all their material things in that earthquake, is a strong reminder of what really matters, and it's not clothes, nor houses, nor things.







No comments:

Post a Comment