Saturday, June 27, 2015

REVIEW: Wen Haircare



I'm sure you haven't been able to avoid the infomercials advertising Wen Haircare by Chaz Dean.  I even got several coupons in the mail, maybe you have, too.  I'd always wondered about it, seeing all those celebrity testimonies on the commercials (no, I didn't watch the whole thing...  but enough to see several of those famous ladies with great hair gush over this line).  I'm not sure how many ads I saw or flyers I received before I finally bit, but I did finally bite.

So, here's my opinion, in case you've been wondering, or wavering, as the case may be.  I tried the standard Sweet Almond Mint scent, which is quite pleasant (and appropriate for males and females - my husband and I use the same hair products in the shower).  

I ordered the "Haircare Deluxe Kit" sample offer for $39 which included the items linked below (plus a bristle brush and wood comb).  The items included in the deluxe offer change, so the current offer may be slightly different.  See Wen.com to order directly from them, or many items are available at Sephora (both online and in store) if you want to try it without signing up for a "regular supply" that will include future shipments unless you opt-out.  Amazon also has some options for sale online, if that's your favorite marketplace.

One warning about ordering directly from Wen.  While it's a great deal to get 3 products for $29 or 5 products for $39, that introductory kit includes a "regular supply", which will automatically send you more products and bill your credit card every few months.  You have to call or email them to cancel that service.  There is no easy option to do it online (unless they have changed that recently, as they really need to do).  Plus they do NOT email you any kind of notice before they ship the additional products - and it's a huge box of product that costs $120 that they send only a couple of months after your original order.  So, unless you're positive you want more product shipped to you regularly, at their intervals, be sure to opt out of the "regular supply" plan soon after you order.

WEN HAIRCARE LINE:

Cleansing conditioner: This is their main product, their "bread and butter", so to speak.  And it is a very nice feeling and smelling product.  I also like only having to use one product, instead of using both shampoo and conditioner, which makes the large bottle for $32 a better deal than it may seem.  But, they recommend that you use a HUGE amount every time you wash your hair (a total of 10-16 pumps for short hair, 16-24 pumps for medium-length hair and 24-32 pumps for long hair), so that big bottle goes relatively fast (like in about a month for me and my husband).  Depending on your usual shampoo/conditioner budget, that may be a great deal, or not.  Just letting you know!  They claim you can go longer between washes, but I'm still at my usual 2-3 times per week.  And, although I would call my hair medium-length, I still use the amount of product recommended for long hair to get my hair feeling clean enough to last half a week.  But, several months (and several bottles later), I'm still using it, and don't really plan to make a change any time soon. And I do think my hair looks less dry.  

Here's photos of just before and just after making the switch to Wen - there is a difference for the better!:

BEFORE (pretty fried, right?):



 AFTER USING IT FOR A WHILE:



Anti-frizz styling cream:  This is meant to be applied to wet hair.  When I first used it, I was putting it on almost-dry hair, and it didn't work that well.  When I remember to apply it to my wet hair just after towel-drying, it does seem to work better, especially considering that I don't blow-dry my hair so it would normally have a pretty fuzzy texture without hair products.  So, while it's not as good as the Living Proof products I've sampled (which I plan to buy when this runs out), it's not bad.  I do find I have to be careful to not apply too much, or my hair feels dirty that much faster.

Replenishing treatment mist: (This wasn't listed for sale separately that I could find, so this link is for a set that includes this product).  This might be my favorite product of all of them.  Instructions say to apply it to wet hair, which I do, but my favorite way to use it is the additional instruction which says you can spray some on the ends of your dry hair when extra hydration is needed between washes.  Since the ends of my hair get kind of dried out and frizzy as the day goes on, I use this at least once a day to calm things down.

Re moist intensive hair treatment:  This is probably my least favorite of the line, I don't plan on buying it again, but that's mostly because the 30 minute treatment time is inconvenient for me.  Just my laziness, I guess.  I'm also not a huge fan of packaging that doesn't work with one hand in the shower.  I guess I'm not coordinated enough to open the lid, scoop out the product and re-close the lid while holding a big dollop of product in my shower-wet hand.  It does seem to give an extra moisture boost as promised, though.  So give it a try if you're more coordinated than I am.

Ultra nourishing cleansing treatment (I couldn't find a link for this product):  I received this in Lemon Rosemary Vanilla Bean scent, which smells yummy, and also gender-neutral.  It is designed to be mixed into (3-4 pumps at a time) your pumps of cleansing conditioner before massaging it into your hair, to give it an extra cleaning boost. You can also add one pump as a leave-in conditioner, or use it as a hair mask treatment to be left in your hair for 20-30 minutes before being rinsed out.  I will say that it does really boost the cleaning power of the cleansing conditioner, I've been using it each time I wash.

So, that's it.  Hope it's helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment