Monday, March 17, 2014

BEFORE AND AFTER: Front Hall

I think I've mentioned (oh, once or twice), that my specialty is making the best of challenging design situations.  Perhaps you always have the time and funds available to fix every issue in your home perfectly, but I don't.  To be honest, sometimes I think the challenge makes me more creative.

For example, when we moved into our home, the front entry was a whole lotta ugly (picture below is an improvement over the in-person look).  Cheap, fake wood linoleum with 2 thresholds screwed down to manage the slanted floor where the added-on entry met up with the original home.  Not sure who thought that was a good option, but that was the hand we were dealt.

BEFORE:


We had big plans for ceramic tile in the entry way, but how do you do ceramic on a slanting floor?  Our solution?  Thin vinyl tile.  Not the super-cheapie self-adhesive stuff for $1 a square (not that there isn't a place and time for that), but a type of vinyl tile that is usually professionally installed with spread-on adhesive underneath.  Because it was so thin, and adhered directly to the subfloor, it made the slant issue less noticeable, and we didn't need that second threshold.

Would I rather fix the entire slanting floor issue?  Sure.  Would I get my money out of that fix in this house?  Nope.  Not worth it.  But, I think the final product looks pretty good!

AFTER:

No comments:

Post a Comment