Friday, November 21, 2014

OUTFIT: Blanket-wrap scarf (aka "fake poncho")




OUTFIT DETAILS:
Activity: Testing for future outfits

Scarf: gift from India (sort of similar  - you should just go to India and get a gorgeous one like this, or find an Indian section of a big town and find one, or find a lighter weight substitute from a scarf vendor - sorry to say, there's just no replacement for this lovely scarf)
Jeans: Old Navy (exact in current wash)
Bag: Coach (similar)
Boots: Carlos by Carlos Santana (similar)

So blanket scarf "ponchos" are all over the internet.  Probably done better than I did here.  But, I will say I probably have the prettiest scarf to use (thanks, Sam!).  As I experimented with mine, I found a few tips if you want to try this trend:

1. Pay attention to how you tuck and fold your scarf.  I took the short end/corner of mine and tucked it up over one shoulder, then wrapped the rest of the scarf around my front and back  to reach over the other shoulder.  Then I adjusted the neck area to bring the length up as needed.

2. Keep the rest of your outfit simple and classic. I stuck with jeans and a white tee.  You've already got a lot going on with the dramatic scarf poncho, rein it in on the rest.  I've seen others carry this look off with a floppy brim hat, but it was too much for me.  More power to you if you can!

Check out the photo gallery below for some DOs and DON'Ts...

Here's how NOT to wear a scarf "poncho":

Too long for my height and not tucked up for any definition.


Too bulky!  Shawl monster, anyone?



How about this for a better option?

Subtle, but better.











No comments:

Post a Comment